Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Enough about you........Let's talk about me!


While our goal for this little blog (which has surprisingly become quite fun for us) is pretty much all business, we've had a lot of requests for personal scoop on the designer. Although it's not really her thing to divulge much about her personal life, when pressed she did answer some questions that give you some insight into what gets her up in the morning, what drives her and what makes her tick. Enjoy the scoop. We sure did!

Digging Deep

What do you regard to as the lowest depth of misery?
To be away from my kids

What is your idea of earthly happiness? To sail the Greek isles with my family and on board have copious amounts of food & wine coupled with endless sunsets

Who are your favorite heroines in real life? My mother, because she embodies beauty and love; my assistant Courtney, nick-named "The Wiz" because she has turned the business end of this company into Oz and lets me do what I do best - DESIGN and my best friends who teach me patience & loyalty.

Your favorite artist?

I am living for Kenneth Nolan right now and his use of color!

Your favorite Musician?
Would you laugh if I said Justin Timberlake? 
I dragged my husband to his concert last year and acted like a 6th grader at my first concert.

Your most marked characteristic? 
My harsh honesty

What do you most value in your friends? 
Loyalty and honesty

What is your principle defect?
I have a few! I am an incredibly obsessed perfectionist and complete workaholic. And patience is not my top virtue.
What is your dream of happiness? For my children to grow up happy and healthy

What in your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
To have moved home right after college and never lived in NYC, and to have never had children!

What is your favorite color?
Today? Navy - It changes daily!

What is your favorite motto or saying?
Since my college days, I have had a Karl Lagerfeld quote that was cut from a magazine on his idea of happiness. I live by it daily, and it is next to me as I write this. "The secret to happiness is never compete, never compare." Genius, that man is.

What inspires me? 
Everything! I am inspired by my clients, vintage designs, other designers, color, art, jewelry - really if it crosses my eye it becomes something - I created the Faye bag from my husband's beat up briefcase he got from his father!

What designers do I admire most? 
John Paul Gaultier never ceases to amaze me by the way he can rework vintage Hermes and keep an old, established house new and fresh! Alber Elbaz at Lanvin is a genius, and Karl Lagerfeld just because of what he does and what he can do. How the hell does he do it all ???

How do you define glamour? Being comfortable in your own skin and radiating beauty from within. I see so many people who spend tons of money on clothes and jewelry and bags, and then when they put it all on, they look miserable. Really, who are they kidding? I think being glamorous is being happy. That glow cannot be purchased.

Favorite fashion icon clients & their bags...Lynn Wyatt has a few, but the one I love the most is a black envelope clutch she wears in the evening with a bright pink lining and her initials LSW embossed on the inside flap in gold – SO CHIC and then a beautiful pumpkin orange alligator Taylor tote. Yes, we had to make it three times to get the color just right! She taught me persistence makes perfection!

Is there something that you keep in mind when you are designing?
I ask myself...would I wear this?

My favorite bag?
Honestly, it's like asking me which of my children I love more. NOT a fair question. But, I must admit, I am in LOVE with the Mercury bag. I’m making a mini version for spring too that I will love even more!

If you were not a handbag designer what would you be?
Interior designer


PERSONAL FAVES

Where do you live?
Houston, Texas

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Bar Annie...what would we do without Paco and late night nachos?

Favorite designers/pieces?
Cocktail dresses by Lanvin, evening gowns by Oscar de la Renta or Carolina Herrera, tailored jackets by Chanel, knits from J.Crew & Marc Jacobs.

Bling?
Everything comes from my hubbie! In particular, for Christmas he gave me a gold cuff he designed for me in collaboration with Nancey Chapman, and the only thing I have ever bought for myself are fabulous earrings from Suzanne Wilson.

Can not get enough of?
The smell of Seda France Japanese Quince Candle & Elle Décor

Can not stand?
Fish and people who talk about how much money they have

Best Vintage?
Decades in LA - Cameron Silver is beyond!

Favorite city to shop in?
NYC

Favorite shop?
Forty Five Ten, Dallas & Bergdorf Goodman, NYC

Necessary extravagance?
Massages and pedicures

Favorite vacation spots?
La Casa que Canta, Zihuatanejo, Mexico & Taos, New Mexico

Where haven't you been that you're dying to go?
Dubai & Morocco

Favorite underwear?
Really? Hanes her way 6 pack from CVS. And, no, I'm not kidding.

Three things I cannot live without? 
Reading Good Night Moon to my two boys every night before bed, Pizza (Dominos Brooklyn style) and my iPhone.

What do I always have with me? 
A giant bottle of water to remind me to hydrate. And my neck is always surrounded by two medallions with the initials of my two sons along with the first gift my husband gave me when we were dating - a little diamond cross necklace & my 2 Cartier love bracelets my husband gave me for each birth!

Best kept secret?
Tuxedo Park

QUICK FIRE!

Watch?
Hermes gold Medor

Day bag?
Mercury in Navy matte alligator

Evening bag?
Small magnolia in silver alligator






Shoes?
Alaia ballet flats & Louboutin heels

Uniform?
J.Crew & Hermes flip-flops

Lipstick?
Neutrogena moisture shine lip-gloss

Mascara?
Maybelline Great lash

Shampoo?
Kerstase

Scent?
Eccentric 01 from Forty Five Ten

Soap?
Dove energizing body bar in citrus

Hair colorist/cut?
Ceron - when he drags in!

Pedicure/Manicure maven?
Louiza at Kai spa

Didn’t get what you needed? Shoot us an e-mail at info@alexandraknightonline.com, and we will answer your questions directly! And don’t forget to forward the blog to your friends – the more readers, the more fun!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info but that is all real vague.

Anonymous said...

your publicist must have written that blog, that is all info I have read in the newspaper in the past, give us some real scoop, or is there any?

Anonymous said...

ok I am from NJ and I have to say I discovered "Diary of a Playdate Dropout" and have been enthralled for months that Texans REALLY DO live over the top!

I love your site and I have told my kids and husband I MUST HAVE a Alex Knight bag for Christmas

End of story!

My husband is a Vol. firefighter so I need to get it in red,white and blue that says NYPD on the front

Please keep blogging I am living vicariously

Tilda

Anonymous said...

how do you feel about people who talk about how much money the DON'T have????

Anonymous said...

this is a dead blog, Lynn Wyatt must be your only customer.

Anonymous said...

I wish Lynn Wyatt was our only customer! Then I'd be popping bon bons on a beach with somebody spritzing me with Evian and cleaning my sunglasses for me, not stressing over custom bags and designing Spring 09. To respond to your comment, we have many clients around the globe. Some choose to remain private about their purchases and you'll be hearing from others in future posts.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great picture of you...if it were me, I'd make wallpaper out of that rather than the alligator.

I found your answers to be interesting and thoughtful. I'm really not sure I need your blood type and dental records, but thought it was very cool that you shared so much with us. Now, just need to know when the fall collection will be ready for viewing. Then I'LL be satified!

acreekmo said...

Hey Alexandra, this is my first time to your website and just wanted to say your products are beautiful! I noticed your favorite hair stylist is Ceron and my fiance is one of his assistants. She is the one who told me about you because she saw your products for the first time and had to call and tell me. Looks like I might have to surprise her with a tote or clutch one day! Honestly the reason why I wanted to post a comment is because I cant believe the nerve some people have to be so negative about someone. The real reason they do that is to justify their own jealousy and bad attitude. Keep up the good work and there are alot of people that are proud you are from Houston, Texas and produce such amazing work right here in our hometown! Take care and hope you have a wonderful Christmas!